Monday, December 15, 2008

YouTube to the Rescue!

Many of you are familiar with YouTube as the place where students go to check out funny videos, comedy skits, or clips of their favorite bands, but it is rapidly growing into a valuable educational tool as well. Students can find videos to supplement their understanding of concepts being taught in your classes - even math. The thing is, they can watch at their own pace and easily rewind to re-watch until the concept is clear. If one video doesn't help, they can try another.

Not only is it good for the students, but we as teachers can benefit also. When I was needing to learn some information about blogging, there it was on YouTube. I was recently looking for a way to explain a concept in programming class, so I thought why not try YouTube. Sure enough, I found an explanation by a high school teacher in Hawaii (I think it was) that was simple and elegant. With a few changes to comply with the lesson that I was teaching it work great.

So if you or your students need additional help with some concept or idea, try YouTube.

No comments: